Ryukonkai may be translated as:
琉 Ryukyu, the original name for Okinawa
棍 Kon is another name for the six-foot staff or bo.
会 Kai means group or association
So the name Ryukonkai may be seen to refer to the Okinawan association dedicated to the study of the bo.
The Ryukonkai has a set of guiding principles or Dojo Kun to which all members aspire.
- Be civil, courteous, disciplined and well behaved.
- Aim to train your mental and spiritual power as well as your physical power. Endurance is the key to success.
- Respect your seniors and love your juniors. Regard every member of the dojo as brothers and sisters and treat them as such.
- Try to master the most efficient skill of self-defense preparing for the emergency.
Perhaps most important of all is the personal motto of Grandmaster Kotaro Iha:
"You should not love to fight, but not, even for a moment, forget to prepare for fighting."
- Miyamoto Musashi, Go rin no Sho, The Book of Five Rings.